Baby Food: Homemade Oat Cereal With Sweet Potato Puree
When I first decided to start my baby on solids, I of course went to the local grocery store to browse the baby food aisle to see what they had. I realized two things, baby food was pretty expensive and the majority of it had lots of additives & added sugars, something I felt I could avoid by making Daxton's food myself! So I opted to do homemade baby food because I find it super easy and convenient!
I chose to make Oat cereal first because it is one of the most common foods given to babies for their first foods. After making the first batch, I began doing some research & realized that oats, rice & other grains can actually be difficult for babies to digest sometimes, so you don't have to start your baby with grain cereals. I found that lots of research says you can start your baby on various pureed fruits & veggies (or allow them to do baby led weaning (larger pieces that allow them to learn to eat themselves), which may be easier for their little digestive tracts! There is no specific order in which you HAVE to give your baby food, so feel free to start with something like bananas or avocado if you wish!
Homemade Oat Cereal Recipe
- 1 cup large flake oats
- 1-2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (if you wish to add)
- Measure 1 cup of large flake oats & add to the food processor. Put food processor on high and keep it on until oats are finely ground.
- Use a small/medium sized pot & add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil.
- Add 1/2 cup finely ground oats to the boiling water. Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Reduce heat to medium and stir well.
- Continue stirring occasionally for about 10-12 mins.
- Add 1-2 tbsp to a bowl & let cool. Any food fed to your baby should be body temperature or cooler. If you test this on your wrist you should not feel any heat.
- Store the rest in an air tight container (or freeze leftovers)
Sweet Potato Puree with Oats
I originally made the oat cereal by itself, but then realized it would taste pretty good with some sweet potato added, & would provide babe with some extra nutrients so I decided to mix them together :)
Pureed Sweet Potato Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425 . Wrap Large Sweet Potato in tinfoil.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (or until tender).
- Remove Sweet Potato from the tinfoil. Remove Skin.
- Mash with a fork & mix in with the cooked oat cereal.
I liked doing the two separate incase he didn't like them mixed. This also allows me to eat the leftover sweet potatoes or oats, and for me to feed him the two foods separately if I wish! :)