Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Muffins
I LOVE Fall! & Have definitely been experimenting with everything and anything pumpkin since October hit. If you love everything pumpkin, but don't want to sabotage your healthy eating efforts with the stuff you normally find in stores, try this recipe! These muffins are healthy, nutritious, delicious and super moist!
Before we get into the recipe, I wanted to share some of the health benefits of pumpkin! Pumpkin in general is loaded with: Vitamin A(great for eyesight), fiber, the antioxidant beta-carotene(cancer prevention), free-radical-neutralizing carotenoids(keep the skin wrinkle free), Potassium which can help restore the body's balance of electrolytes(great for recovery post workout) and a solid source of vitamin C(boost immune system).
HEALTH BENEFITS DURING PREGNANCY:
- Loaded with nutrients like iron, niacin, phosphorus and calcium (all important for my preggos),
- Can help keep blood sugar levels in check - important with gestational diabetes being so common during pregnancy,
- Can help to prevent constipation due to the high fiber content,
- Helps with the formation of your baby's bones and teeth(pumpkin seeds),
- Can help to prevent & cure cramps in the lower abdomen,
- Can help to eliminate edema and eczema(common ailments of pregnancy).
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 2 cups pureed pumpkin
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 cups oats
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, dairy free chocolate chips
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350
- Add 4 bananas, 2 cups pumpkin and 1 cup pitted dates to your food processor (PS this would make delicious baby food - could subtract dates to lessen sugar content)
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients(flour, oats, cinnamon, all spice, baking powder). Stir.
- Add ingredients from the food processor into the mixing bowl, and stir until well combined. Add 2 eggs, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Once the mixture is well combined stir in the chocolate chips.
- Add the mixture into 12 muffin tins, and the excess into a loaf pan(or make two sets of muffins).
- Bake for 30-40 mins or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean. (This time varies depending on the size of the muffins/loaf you make.