Butternut Squash Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Soup
I was feeling inspired by fall last week so I decided to make some homemade butternut squash, sweet potato and pumpkin soup! This recipe is also completely vegan :) As Always, I started to become curious about the health benefits of butternut squash and how it could be beneficial to the health of my baby. I found some of the below health benefits & wanted to share:
Health Benefits of Butternut Squash:
- PREVENTS BIRTH DEFECTS: contains ample amounts of folic acid & other key B vitamins that help ensure baby is born happy & healthy.
- PREVENTS HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE: because of the high potassium content.
- PROMOTES REGULARITY : because of its fiber content.
- KEEPS BONES STRONG: because of the manganese content which helps maintain healthy bone structure & increase calcium absorption.
- HEALTHIER SKIN: Contains half your daily dose of vitamin C which helps promote healthier skin, & lowering chance of wrinkles and dryness.
Basically it turned out as perfect baby food, and then I added coconut milk and some cashew milk to make it a bit more 'soupy'. You can definitely skip the coconut milk and just use cashew milk for a lower calorie option, with pretty much 0 fat. However, I wanted to add some fat to make it more filling!
- 1 medium/large size butternut squash
- 2 medium sweet potato
- 1.5 - 3 cups unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp all spice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450
- Chop Butternut Squash & Sweet Potatoes in half and place on a tinfoil lined baking sheet upside down. Add a cup of water onto the pan.
- Bake for 45-50 mins or until soft & fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and let sit. Remove the Skins from the sweet potato and squash.
- Add squash, sweet potatoes and pureed pumpkin to a food processor. If it is too much, do as much fits and add the pureed mix to a pot.
- Reheat puree, add cinnamon and all spice, add coconut milk and cashew milk. Let simmer for 20 + mins. Stirring until well combined.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste.